“For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,”- Titus 2:11-12 Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, January 22, 2010

Fasting

I fasted this past Tuesday to Thursday evening, to help my spiritual growth. Tuesday, we started the day as a family with breakfast at the table (okay, so I started the fast after breakfast on Tuesday). Before Ken went to work, he suggested we do an activity where we write down all the sins we've never repented for and everything that goes against God's will that we've done in our lives, which may include bad personal thoughts, talking badly about someone, bad personal habits, etc... pretty much anything that was not good. This was an individual activity between ourselves and God, so we did not see each other's list. After making our list, we burnt the paper up and watched it smolder into flames as a symbol to represent we were done away with our wrong ways and were repenting. We prayed as a family and it was as though a burden was released. You should try this activity, even with a group of people and see how much of an affect it has on you. God is powerful!
Fasting was a great idea to continue an ongoing connection with God. In the past I've fasted on a fruit diet, but this was my first fast with no food, BUT the sustenance of water, prayer, the Bible, and devotion. It was trying for me, since I love to eat. For some people, like diabetics, it may not be advisable to do a fast, because of the medication they take and food is a necessity, but a fast could also be taking a break from watching tv for a day or two, or taking a break from browsing the internet.
Fasting helped keep me in prayer. I prayed for my immediate family, and other family members across the international date line from us; I prayed to be a better parent which lead me to continue my reading on the Spirit of Prophecy - One book in particular, "Child Guidance" by E.G. White; I prayed for our friends, our church, the people in our church; I prayed to be a better person as a whole; I prayed not to dwell on my hunger for sustenance in this life, but for blessings from God and his Word.
I praise God that through Him this fast was possible.
"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4

1 comment:

HIS princess said...

What a testimony, Giz! Thank you for sharing. I would really like to do the activity even just by myself.